Montana Fair Share
Our top priority
Kids, Not Cuts!
We believe that everyone deserves a fair shot in life, and that starts with a quality education. Unfortunately, some in Congress are moving to cut billions from education. Congress already made deep cuts in early 2013 that will slash programs for 1.2 million kids and take 30,000 teachers out of classrooms. Now, House Budget Chair Paul Ryan wants to slash education funds with another $6.9 billion in cuts to our schools, our teachers, and our kids in the next year alone.
As Congress debates the education budget, Montana Fair Share is working to make sure that our representatives stand up for our kids. Learn more.
Standing up for working families & middle class values
• Montana Fair Share works to provide every Montanan with a fair shot at a good job, a secure future and a strong voice in our democracy by standing up to the conservatives and Wall Street interests who block progress at every turn.
• Through door-to-door canvassing and grassroots lobbying, we press local and national government to do its job and defend working families against the privileged and powerful.
• And, we help elect leaders who will work for a fair economy and work to defeat politicians who place extreme ideology and corporate profits ahead of ordinary citizens.
Grassroots Action that gets results
• Montana Fair Share is part of the Fair Share network. Together, we talked face-to-face with hundreds of thousands of voters in Montana and other critical battleground states to help elect President Obama in 2008 and prevent a wholesale Wall Street takeover of Congress in 2010.
• We followed up these efforts by reaching out in neighborhoods and activating our network of supporters to help pass measures that have saved millions of jobs and protected consumers by cracking down on health insurance companies and reining in the Wall Street mega-banks.
OUR LEAD CAMPAIGNS
Make Corporations Pay Their Fair Share
Big corporations — including GE, Wells Fargo and more — are using their lobbyists and campaign contributions to rig the tax system in their favor, and some pay nothing in taxes.
That costs the rest of us $100 billion per year in lost taxes.
Join with Montana Fair Share, and tell your member of Congress: Close corporate tax loopholes, and put America back to work.
Put America Back to Work
America has work to do: We need new schools, more teachers and better roads, bridges and transit systems. At the same time, millions of people who are ready, willing and able to get these jobs done are still unemployed.
It’s time to put America back to work. We can rehire teachers and firefighters who were laid off in the recession. We can put people to work building and rebuilding schools and fixing our roads and bridges. And we can pay for it by cutting $200 billion in wasteful subsidies and tax loopholes for the biggest corporations.
Learn more about Montana Fair Share's campaign to Put America Back to Work.
Get Big Money Out of Politics
Our democracy should give each of us a voice — and government should look out for us, not just for the privileged and powerful. But it doesn’t work that way. Instead, unlimited campaign spending from corporations and the richest Americans rig the system against the average voter.
Things are getting worse because the Supreme Court has decided that corporations are people, and that they and the wealthy can spend as much as they want on elections. Now big corporations and wealthy interests are flooding the airwaves, spending millions of dollars to elect candidates who will look out for their interests, not ours. They can spend unlimited amounts of money, without even disclosing who they are.
That’s just wrong. Corporations are not people, and the richest players shouldn’t get to buy our democracy.
Sign our petition to support a constitutional amendment to get big money out of politics.
Middle Class Tax Cuts
In a victory for Montana Fair Share's Middle Class Tax Cuts First campaign, Senate leaders and the White House came together on Jan. 1 to work out a compromise deal to extend critical tax cuts for American’s income up to $450,000 for a household, preventing a major tax hike on America’s middle class. The compromise bill passed both the Senate and the House, and was signed by President Obama. The Middle Class Tax Cuts First campaign brought together Coloradan small businesses and community organizations to call for extending middle class tax cuts.
We are grateful that President Obama, Vice President Biden and leaders in the Senate came together to craft a bipartisan bill that will extend tax cuts for the middle class. Families and small businesses can breathe easier this new year, knowing that their taxes will not go up drastically in 2013. Learn more.